observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Up on the balcony




I coach a youth lacrosse team here in Brooklyn and on Wednesdays I run a clinic at the Dodge Y on Atlantic Ave. I love working with the kids and having a kid myself (2 years tomorrow!) I am very sensitive to keeping the program positive.

The kids range in age from 6 to 14. So I am part time babysitter, part time coach, part time mentor. A strange thing happened this Wed that really got my wheels turning. One of my six year olds is very sensitive. He gets pissed when he can't get a drill, drops a ball, or when another kid gets praise over him. Great kid but I have to be extra delicate with him.

So this past Wed we were scrimmaging and my little guy gets hit in the mouth. No real harm at all. The kid's mom is watching from the balcony above and after he gets hit he looks up and sees his mom reading a book. Boom! The tears come and he crumbles into a ball. Looks up again and now Mom is watching. Then he becomes hysterical. I ignore the hysterics, give him a pat on the back and get him back in the game. I give Mom a look and she knows we are all good.

Later that day one I'm working with one of my best players. Ridiculous athlete. 10 years old banging with 14 year olds. And doing damage. His pops is watching from the same balcony. We are working on his shot. Shoot low and shoot hard. He rips his shot and literally knocks the goal over. (this kid is gonna be an All American) He immediately looks up to the balcony. Dad gives him a nod and a wry smile graces my future All American's face.

As I do my part to be a good father to Miles I realize I am still looking up to the balcony. I want, I need to do right in a way that will make my parents proud. Whether it's my Mom looking down from the big balcony in the sky or making my pops in North Carolina proud. I hope that every time Miles looks up he will see me smiling and also realize I won't be running down to the gym. But I'll be there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post man. good parenting is something to always take special note of. happy b-day again to miles boogums, and here's to baby girl on the way!

February 12, 2007 6:51 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

thanks man

February 12, 2007 8:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home