observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tell me it ain't so


So Little Brother has called it quits. Well not really. Kind of f'd up that just because 9th is leaving people are assuming the group has disbanded. I think there is a strong chance they could continue on as long as they hook up with the right music and production. I never really saw the Pete Rock-ness in 9th, but losing him will be a blow no doubt. Creatively and in terms of their image.


I was enthralled by the comments from LB I heard on hiphopgame. Very rarely do you hear a group complain that they didn't have an A&R. I thought A&R's were the devil. Ever since Wu Tang people have been wanting to lynch their label reps. But I understand them. When I was managing J-Live and he was on London we had no A&R. And as nice as it was to be able to make the record we wanted creatively it did suck not having an advocate in the office. Our product manager saved our ass but without her we would have been lost.


I was always skeptical about how LB would do in the Atlantic system. Rarely do those deals work out. I also wonder what Beni B has to say about this. They were signed through ABB and he, more than any other indie label owner has done this dance. Flipping indie artists to majors. Defari, Dilated, and LB.


good luck to the guys


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing is Dialated had the same problem, and I believe they just left Capitol for good. I really wanted LB to work at Atlantic, but their situation has confirmed to me that "certain" hip hop music work will just not work in that system. The majors are not willing to push it the same way they are willing to push other projects. These labels don't let the music promote sell itself anymore...I'm glad these labels are losing money. As a group, I don't LB is going anywhere...

January 31, 2007 11:31 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

you think they can thrive w/o 9th?

February 02, 2007 9:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think 9th's presence will ever be fully gone. They'll end up like Slum Village...

February 06, 2007 8:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home