observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I an't afraid of No Ghost!

Our own Kim “I ain’t turning no” Trick(s) got the tables turned on her and was interviewed by SOHH.

SOHH is a great site but those pop-ups over the words ‘hip-hop’ and ‘rap’ are kind of weird and annoying.

I was smack dab in the underside of running a record label all day yesterday. Alma, James and I moved three pallets of records and CD’s from the Fat Beats warehouse to our store room. We are moving our distribution to Studio and had to clear out our goodies from Fat Beats. The worst part of this business is manufacturing, shipping warehousing and returns. That is why I am all for digital distribution. The business has to move in that direction.

Most people I know under the age of 40 only use CD’s to burn and put them on their mp3 player, usually the ubiquitous iPod. I myself have an iRiver (snickering laugh). A few hardcore heads use vinyl, but honestly the number of those cats is dropping. And after what I saw 3D do at the last Good Foot I think the days of the vinyl head is dying. Now I know Mahoney and Amir, if they ever read this stupid blog, are out of the chairs in disgust.

Once we move to a fully digital model there will be no more returns, no shipping charges, no manufacturing charges, easier accounting and best of all more good music. Artists will be able to get their music in the marketplace literally the day after it’s mastered.

To that end (shameless plug) we have just a done a deal wit IODA Distribution to get our entire catalog into all the major online distributors. iTunes, Napster, Real, etc. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

That SOHH link was a story about the lawyer representing Kim Osorio in her sex discrimination suit against The Source, didn't see Kim T's name anywhere in it (?).

I agree that vinyl will be dead soon though. Did you see
this?

April 28, 2005 11:25 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Kim said she was a part of the interview with Kim. Maybe it's noy up yet.

the ipod looks crazy

April 28, 2005 11:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home