observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Diamonds are forever

So my man Mark Cilantro who edits the sevenheads site came by this weekend while the family was in town to see little Miles Boogie and his cousin, Malaika Joy. He told he had to write a review of the new Mike Jones album for allhiphop. I haven’t heard the album yet although I think a copy is at the office. I wonder how it is. I love ‘Still Tippin’ but I wonder if I could handle a whole album from him.

I hope I don’t drive y’all nuts with all the baby pics I post but if you do you are not gonna be happy today. My niece Malaika was in town and I was a point and click fool. For those that don’t know is the daughter of Blue Black of The Unspoken Heard, who for those who got a 210 on the SAT is my brother. The whole fam from the aunts to the Son of Hud to cousins and uncles were eating, drinking and laughing in Clinton Hill this weekend. It was a good time.

Rob, Uncle James, Jazz and I basically watched basketball all day. The 1st round is always the best. It’s like the 1st two rounds of the NCAA. Mad basketball.

Ever notice there seems to be a Duke connection with the Bulls. Jay Williams, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon. As I write they are trying to take out the Bullets.

There were more blow outs yesterday than I would have predicted. I think the smart money has to be on the Pistons. Thy hold the belt and the LB devised a plan to stop the Diesel last year. He can do it again. The Suns will win the West but when that circus act meets Motown they are gonna get pounded.

New Kanyeezy, ‘Diamonds’. I am not mad at it at all. Kanye will never be the best MC but he is certainly a good songwriter.

Heard that Digable is reuniting for Lollapalooza, which is no longer a tour but a festival. I remember when they came to Charlottesville when the 1st record was out. They were a lot of good looking women in the audience, I remember this one second year girl…. (I digress)…They did a great show; they rocked the whole album from beginning to end in the same sequence. I thought and still think that was brilliant concept. They recorded the album in a way that synced perfectly with the stage performance. So many MC’s these days have no appreciation for the live show and it plays no role in their creative process.

They got a bum deal on that second album. It was a beautiful piece of work that broached Mumia, Geronimo Pratt and US political prisoners way before it became in vogue. They were on the cusp of the G-Funk era and I think their vibe was forced to acquiesce to the changing of the guard. Remember that when ‘Blowout Comb’ dropped it was followed by ‘The Chronic’, ‘Doggystyle’ and ‘The Infamous’. Hip-Hop decided to get a little ignorant and violent. The finger snapping jazz-hip hop cats had to be shown the exit.

I myself bristled with all their Brooklyn and general New York references. I thought they laid it on a bit thick. Regardless I will be there if/when that gig comes to town.

The Chancellor will be broadcasting from the road this week. So I may miss a day.

Prince Paul at The Good Foot on Cinquo de Mayo

Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival June 18th. Let’s than 2 months away!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home