observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Michelle is a hater


Ok so last night I fell asleep watching the returns from the Wisconsin primary. I woke up to the victory speech by our candidate Barack “tell yo mama” Obama.

One of his best speeches so far if you ask me. He directly addressed old man Winter’s claim that Obama is all rhetoric and no action. What Obama didn’t address was his wife’s controversial comments earlier that day. In case you are not a political nerd like me here it is, “Let me tell you something. For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country, because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.” Immediately right wing pundits like my man Pat Robertson on MSNBC jumped on Michelle for her seemingly unpatriotic comment.

You know what? Pat is not wrong. If you are a flag waving, botoxed up heiress like Cindy McCain that does sound unpatriotic. And you have a right to be upset.

But I feel what Michelle is saying. As a Black person and in her case a Black woman she can say that she is not pleased with this country. The country that left black and poor people to die a watery death in New Orleans. The country that spends trillions on Iraq while cutting health care for under served kids in inner cities and rural areas across the country. The country that wants to build a fence across the border to keep out brown people just coming to make a living. And this is the country who turned a blind eye while Michelle’s elders were hung from trees for not falling in line.

And again as a Black woman she realizes that she gets it from other angle. Sexism and racism from white, brown, black, Muslim, Catholic, and Baptist alike. And through it all her man is about to become president. Yeah, I can see why after all the shit she has had to eat she can finally say I am proud of this country. Proud that after decades and centuries of pathological persecution of Black folk we can still put that sickness to the side, close that curtain and pull the lever for Barack.

Yeah I feel you Mom.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better, Wes.

February 20, 2008 2:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home