observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Best Producer?

the king of the golden era
Thanks for all the responses to the curry GOAT post.
But what abou the producer, composer, beatmaker - whatever we want to call them.
A lot of these MC's wouldn't be what they are without the right producer behind them.
Chuck without the Bomb Squad
Paid In Full w/o Marley
Kane w/o Marley
De La w/o Prince Paul
So who are the greatest and what are your criteria.
Here are mine:
Originality and Influence
The best always have a style that is their own. You have to have put beatmaking on a new plane.
Dilla was probably the most copied (non mainstream) producer. He made everyone change their style.
Same with Skateboard P and the Neptunes
A Students: Dilla, Kanye, Primo, Pete Rock, kay Gee, Neptunes, Timbaland

Longevity
Can your beats stand the test of time? Will it bump the same way in 2007 that it did in '87.
Primo gets an A+ here. I can listen to the 2nd and 3rd Gangstarr albums with strictly the instrumentals.
A Students: Primo, Pete Rock, Marley Marl


Fundamentals
Can your beats stand on their own. Do you lean on great MC's to make your name.
I think Erick Sermon is guilty of this. He was blessed with MC's like Parrish, himself, and Redman. They always made him look good. A beat tape from him may have been suspect.
A Students: Primo

Songwriting/Producing
Do you make beats or songs? Can you humble yourself for the sake of the song. Let the MC breathe and enhance the song.
As great as Pete Rock is some of his beats simply overwhelm the MC's he owrks with. ADOR, anyone? They are great songs at first then you look back and say that was really a great beat.
A Students: Dr. Dre, Bomb Squad

My vote goes to Primo based on the numbers.
But I do think Pete at his best (TROY, Mecca and The Soul Brother - the song) is more epic than Primo.

What do y'all think? This list is very East Coast.
Help me balance it out

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda came late to hip hop... but I am really partial to the classics. When I listen to a Pete Rock produced record I just lose my damn mind.

My faves are...

Da Beatminers(z)... just on some classic ish.

The Neptunes... you can hear a beat from these guys and pick it out from a crowd. Some people like this and some don't...

Madlib... Angles Without Edges and Madlib Invades Blue Note are hits!

And I have to agree with you on the rest.

March 07, 2007 9:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bias to the classics as well. I would go with Preemo and Pete Rock all the way. It's hard for me to identify a current producer because I don't think anybody in the mainstream is doing anything timeless now....

March 08, 2007 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to quote ghostface...

"where the hell's the rza?"

March 11, 2007 1:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats bullshit a.d.o.r. is a great artsit that made that record let it all hang out it was not just the beat it was A.D.O.R.SS vibe that kid is one of the best artist in hip hop

September 23, 2007 11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home