observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Another reason why Brooklyn is dope.

Who used to watch All My Children back in the day? Don’t front.
Well for those who did – y’all remember Jesse? He was probably the only Black dude on the show back in the 80’s.
Jesse and Angie were the Black version of Luke and Laura from General Hospital.

Anyhoo, Jesse goes to the same gym as the SC. It was pretty cool to see his this morning after all the hours I spent watching him when I should have been outside playing during those summer vacations.
Like a cat who is too cool for school, I said ‘what up’ and kept it moving.


---------------------------------------------------------------

Had another brain fart this morning. A book idea – The Art of War and the Hip-Hop Industry – A Guide (Steph and Jake I will be hollering at you about this idea real soon).
A book for newcomers to the business. An effort to stem the tide of un-professionalism and the Peter Pan syndrome (J Smooth ©).
As I have written before, there seems to be an unwritten rule that rudeness and lack of etiquette should BE the rule.
Why is that? Well, to the defense of these roughians I don’t know if anyone has taught them any different. So my idea is to connect with my colleagues and put together a handbook of sorts.
Still working out the idea.

On a sociological note I think the lack of men in Urban and minority populated areas has a lot to do with this. Follow me real quick.
Black man in jail/unemployed/deadbeats = single mothers = no male role model = spoiled and disrespectful boys. When these spoiled kids grow up they do not know how to deal with other men.
They deal with it by resorting to whining like they did with their mothers, grandmothers, and aunts. OR they compensate by resorting to hyper masculinity. Instead of conflict resolution they either complain like kids or become overly aggressive like they ‘think’ a man is supposed to. Hyper masculinity leads to misogyny, homophobia, and an insecurity that relentless pursuit of material wealth attempts to solve. And that my friends is Hip-Hop just the way Emmis and Viacom likes it.


WOW – didn’t mean to go that far

I’m out have a good weekend

6 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

Love the idea and the message, Wes.

Thanks for the shout over at the Bangin'. Nice to hear from you.

Have a great time tonight. I wish I could have made it to both shows. Hit us off with a dope review.

May 19, 2006 2:33 PM

 
Blogger Jay Smooth said...

And Jesse (Darnell Williams) also, for a minute, hosted "New York Hot Tracks"!

I met him twice, once in the audience for the Thelonious Monk documentary "Straight No Chaser," and once at that big annual pro-marijuana event they used to have in Washington Square.. so yeah definitely cool peoples.

May 19, 2006 3:22 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

They don't know about Hot Tracks Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Put 'em on!!!!!

May 19, 2006 3:24 PM

 
Blogger Joey said...

How was the Friday night show? I heard that Jay came out.

May 22, 2006 12:04 PM

 
Blogger POPS said...

it wasn't too far...keep pushing

May 23, 2006 5:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all about it, Wes...

Let me know how I can help.

May 24, 2006 4:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home