observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

N.E.R.D. - ish

So it seems like the Sa Ra show is the move tonight. The SC will be in the house as long as his old ass can stay awake. I'm not that old I need to stop talking like that.

Listening to their 'Cosmic Follies..." mixtape courtesy of the always open minded Jeff Sledge. I have known of these guys since they did that joint for Monch for Rawkus. Then they got signed to Ubiquity then at some point Lord Kanye (as he is referred to on this tape) scooped them up. Anyone know the sopa opera on that?

I remeber that Brian and Jarret from Rawkus were managing them, not sure if that is still the case. At some point last year they and Platinum Pied Pipers became the poster child for the trendy, preppy, private school educated colored folks as well as the torch bearer for the ultra cool multiracial bi-gender Hip-Hop intelligentsia. PPP have gone quiet (anyone know what is up with them? It is hoghly possible that I am just in the dark...I didn't know Mary sold 700k her 1st week. Did you?). And it seems as though Sa Ra waited for the PPP train to come in and leave. Now tonight looks like their Sweet 16 party. There is quite a buzz on this show. I hope they do well.

From listening to the CD thy seem like a Pharell/NERD spinoff mixed with a Bootsy Collins/George Clinton, Black, funked out, smoked/coked/X'd out vibe. I actually like how that would sound, I meant to be sarcastic when I wrote it Honestly with Kanye involved I see a red flag warning of overhyped trendiness that may not stand the test of time (M.I.A. anyone? sorry had to slip that one in for Alma. I swear I just don't get that lady).

Now you know the SCR keeps it positive so I am not wishing any ill will on the brothers. I hope the red flag is unwarranted and these cats set it off tonight. I am just worried.

I think tonight will be filled with a lot of fair weather fans who pick one Hip-Hop outfit a year to exalt as the Messiah. I dislike partying with those cats as much as I dislike the $40 ticket crowd.

----------------------------------

Knicks, four in a row!!
Larry Hughes was out, but Bron Bron and Idrunas were still there.
Let the LB (pound for pound the best coach in the game) era begin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

I'll be up in that Sa-Ra show.

January 11, 2006 4:23 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

see you there brother.
I'll be in a pair of orange knickers, tweed blazer and Plastic Man shades

January 11, 2006 5:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home