observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Monday, January 09, 2006

I am not even gonna mention the Giants. A mess.
A shutout? NFL Playoffs!? A lot of work to be done.
Hopefully both my teams will bounce back. Mainly the J-E-T-S , that's my real squizad.

As Ian "little did I know you were a college FB fan" Steaman commented the Jets may end up with D'Brickashaw from UVA. Although I hope Vince is still available (fat chance) a quality OL is the cornerstone of a strong offense. Plus anyone named D'Brickashaw needs to be in the general vincinity of the SC.

-------------------------------------------------------
What about those Knickerbockers? Undefeated in '06 as The Daily News says.
Seriously though I think Larry Brown is starting to get to them. They are playing with confidence, defense is still not in effect but I like what I see.

My man Nate Robinson is the s*&t. Any cat that short balling his ass off is gonna get props from the SC. He is fearless and as Bobbito and Turtle remind us during every commercial break...he's got UPS!

---------------------------------------------------
As for football I guess I am rooting for the Steel Curtain, my favorite team from my youth. I used to want to be Franco Harris. I think my brother was (governor) Lynn Swann.
I love the Bus. Not only does he seem like a good guy, like Nate anyone that short and wide is gonna get love from the SC.

------------------------------------------------------

It's not fair that while I was forbidden to spread the Ghost mp3's they slipped through the net over the weekend. With any lick mu man Mark C and James Blag will get an interview for Brooklyn Bodega.

-----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of Ghost I have been listening to 'Ironman' and 'Forever' in preperation for the 'Fish Scales'. I have come to the conclusion that Ghost is one of the greatest MC's of all time. The non-sequitirs, the random references, the passion.

Who rocks like Starks? Honestly, who?
This is a question. Joey posed the question when I was on my lyrical illustration kick.

Where does Starks rank within the proverbial list?
Kiddies before you put him behind D4L or Lil Flip keep in mind that he has been recording for over 10 years. With and sans mask.

------------------------------------------------------
And in other revelations, De La Soul may be the best group of all time.
caviat: Outside of Run- DMC and P.E. I don' neccesarily agree, but I can't form an argument against what Joe, D, Jay, Chuck, Flav, X and Griff did for the culture.

Found my 'Buhloone Mind State' and have been working it. A true masterpiece. I still haven't fully digested 'Breakadawn'


-Water

5 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

http://straightbangin.blogspot.com/2006/01/honey-look-im-monster-don.html

I think Ghostface might be my favorite MC ever. Best? I don't know, but the dude can write a song. He's crazy lyrical.

And I agree with De La. Again, P.E. and DMC were probably the most influential, but I have never enjoyed an entire catalogue more than De La's. Tribe is up there too, for me.

January 09, 2006 4:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again fellas, can't say enough GOOD when discussing mr. coles. or DE LA for that matter. i was juuuuust thinking how slept on their latest seemed to be -- i suppose only time will really tell. as far as a ghost interveiw, my head spins at the mere thought... marc might have to handle that one (should it ever happen) cause i'm pretty sure i would be melting if i even heard his voice outside of a recording (whoa)
also, a certain RS employee that i share a bedroom with hit me off with the new fishscale goodness (in the strictess confindence, of course - but c'mon, no secrets btwn lovers right?) anyway, upon listening, i so wanted to rent a car and drive all city bumping KILO over and over and over, windows nice and low, and then come home to put it on my "MYSPACE" page and answering machine. how i restrained myself, i do not know. we love you pretty tony. mwah!

January 09, 2006 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Jay Smooth said...

Happy new year to you and yours, Wes..

Damn, hard to choose out of those three.. De La might be my favorite though.. One thing I'll say, De La's catalogue doesn't have any straight-up embarrassing low points, which you can't say for the other guys.. at one point or another in their later years PE and Run DMC have put out material that was borderline laughable, where De La has always been *decent* at least, always credible if not stellar.

January 09, 2006 6:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace Wes & Happy New Year! It's Steph. Elder on the check in. Saw Nate Robinson against the Nets, day after Xmas, and he (+ Channing Frye), is the truth! Turtle was courtside that night, I was sixth row. Buhloone Mind State is my fav De La album, and also ranks in the personal greatest of all time. "Breakadawn" still gives me chills. Also, I will definitely hit you with details on my book idea (the whole place & space thing, but with a twist), as you know, being a working parent can take it out of you.

January 10, 2006 11:34 AM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Jay has a good point about the low points. The lowest may be the 2nd AOI which wasn't that bad. Just poorly recieved. RUN DMC and PE have some real duds. On wax and on TV --- FLAV!

Run's House is the best though

January 10, 2006 2:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home