observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Gospel of Netflix

You all know I love this site. It is one of the purest uses of the
internets. However, it just occured to me what I love the most. The red
envelopes...fake.

What I love is that Netflix has weaned (sp?) me off of critics'
reccomendations. There are a lot of movies that were smashed by the
critics that I still queue up. With the Netflix business model I don't
feel like I'm taking a risk when I throw some supposed bomb like
'Alexander' on the old queue (insert British accent).

Even though the cost of renting at Blockbuster may wind up to be cheaper
it was so much harder digging in my pocket for the 5er for some Lord Of
The Rings knockoff like King Arthur.

Supposed duds that the SC actually enjoyed (there are some cheesy movies
on here - don't you judge me!)

-The Island
-the aformentioned Alexander
-Troy (love those period pieces)
-King Arthur
-THX (that George Lucas pre-Star Wars joint)

Joints that were supposedly dope, but were not
-Wedding Crashers (very dissapointing)

In other news,

Been watching Current TV late at night for some reason. I really like
it. There are some good pieces on there. Great 'pod' about Avarian Flu.
Puts these stories in some sort of real perspective

Poor Ron Ron Artest- I hope he doesn't get blackballed

Isiah - sexual harassment? I didn't think he got down like that (not
that there is anything wrong with that - that's my new Seinfeld borrowed
caviat. Like a 'no homo' but in reverse)

2 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

"The Island" is a totally underrated movie. I was feeling it too when I watched it on Netflix. It bites from Logan's Run, Blade Runner, Minority Report, The Matrix and even the Endor (sp?) forest chase scene in Return of the Jedi but manages to make something interesting and fresh feeling out of all those influences. A modern sci-fi classic?

January 26, 2006 11:46 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Classic? high praise. I won't argue. It really bites George Lucas 1st flick THX 1138 with Duvall. You seen that?

Heavy chomp of Matrix too

January 27, 2006 2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home