observations, reviews and ramblings about Hip-Hop culture, sports, politics and the industry and life in general.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival, good looking out

I have been away for a while and everyone who came out to support us on Saturday knows why. The Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival was without a doubt the BEST event we have produced.

Thanks to all our peoples who came out to support. Cats who have been riding with us for 10+ years.

A special thanks to the team that made it happen. Starting with Alma who quarterbacked the whole thing. Ebonie and Cathy and the whole day of staff. Ian for helping get that dough. Kim who did such a good job getting the word out that the cops were looking for her. And of course my partner in crime Greg Trani-world.

Big apologies to my main man DJ Language who had to have his set cut when we ran behind on the schedule. Please forgive us; we didn’t realize how long it would take to get Leela set up.

But she did kill it, didn’t she?

Thanks to Amir, Medina Green and Geology for holding it down.

Geology’s set was dope. I didn’t know he could do it like that

Good looking to Kyle and KB, true Hip-Hop solders.

I was busy kicking it with 5-0 to see most of Little Brother’s set. But I know they did their thing. I didn’t know that cat Joe Scudda was white.

And of course Brand Nubian. Wasn’t sure that Puba was gonna make it, but I’m glad he did. I kind of reverted to my Hip-Hop nerd self when ‘All For One’ came on. If you can’t rock to the beats it’s time to get out of the game.

I do want to clear up one thing I saw on some cat’s blog today. The intent for BHF was not 'in brooklyn' 'for brooklyn' 'by brooklyn.'
(FYI both Medina Green, Geology and Amir are from Brooklyn)
Living in Brooklyn I know how dope it is and the amount of talent here. The point of BHF was to bring the illest talent and patrons from all over to celebrate the boro. Not to display Brooklyn talent only. That is done every day - Kweli, Mos, Jay-Z, BIG, dead prez, Common (via the Chi), etc.

As I wrote in the program:

We thank you for joining us in celebrating Hip-Hop culture as well as the borough of Brooklyn. Senseless violence, urban neglect, unchecked materialism and lack of community involvement are all common misperceptions of both Brooklyn and Hip-Hop. The point of BHF is to smash those stereotypes and let the world know that Brooklyn and Hip-Hop represent diversity, creativity, peace, and family.

When I was growing up in the Bronx (yup I am a transplant) Hip-Hop was one of my greatest teachers. It taught me to take pride in myself and my community. It taught me to value intelligence and pursue my dreams. Artists like our headliner, Brand Nubian, help quell the scourge of crack in my neighborhood.

And even though I was born not too far from where Hip-Hop was born I still recognize Brooklyn as one of the jewels of the city. It is where I live, work, and build a family. Combining these two elements is our attempt to give back to those who have given us so much.

To that end we have gathered a stellar group of artists, sponsors and professionals to tell that story. The wonderful people who have made this possible come from all parts of this great city and state: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, and New Rochelle. And as far away as Colorado, Ohio, Chicago, Los Angeles and North Carolina.


Joey, I got some lists for you tomorrow.

And in other news I love R. Kelly’s ‘Trapped in the Closet’
Ain’t nobody like him

1 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

:) Yeah, boy boy.

June 22, 2005 11:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home